Ahojky!
Constantin has a baptismal date for the 7th!!!! Talk about whiplash! I heard a couple of weeks ago that they were going to drop him and then Wednesday I got the memo (from C-Bud) he is getting baptized! I am so excited for him. It truly is amazing how much you grow to love the people and desire the best for them; even those that you pass on the streets as you attempt to stop them and get them to listen to your message. But no more attempting - we had an AMAZING training this week in Prague and President has given us some great ways for finding.
He is opening up a lot of new paths that we can use to do the work and we are way excited! It has always kind of been discouraging (so it seemed) to switch around your schedule and not have studies in the morning, BUT, President is encouraging us to do so once a week so we can see people that we wouldn't normally find. He has also approved vylets. This is day trips with the Czechs, doing cultural things and having them invite friends. This will allow us to get to know the culture better so we understand where they are coming from and fall even more in love with the people and area. He is encouraging us to find at least 4 hours of service a week instead of just 2. He wants us to do family history stuff, put on concerts and all sorts of other things. He is helping us to get people more interested when we stop people on the streets. Rather than the typical, excuse me, we are missionaries...and we are teaching people about the Book of ZMormon; have you ever heard of it? Going to more of a, Excuse me, I have a book that has changed my life. Going straight for the testimony and then explain. Let them feel the Spirit and then explain. It is amazing how many new things I have learned from President. I love him so much and am so grateful that I am able to learn from him. He has decided to dedicate the last 20 minutes of every training for learning about Jesus, as that is what our message is centered in and we need to be strengthened there. It is really neat to look into all the symbolism that is behind Christ calling himself the Shepherd. It is really neat to look into everything the shepherds did back in that time and how they really would give thier life for the sheep. I wish I could share all that I learned with you but if you want to hear about my week, that will have to be left for you to search out on your own. :)
So last monday we went to our investigator Mirek's house and we finally got to meet his wife! She made us merunky (apricot) knedliky and man was it delicious! He was so excited to show us his pictures from his trip to Utah but we weren't able to finish looking at them all so, I guess we'll just have to go back! We had prepared a thought on the plan of salvation, as family is important to everyone and they have a daughter who is LDS and living in SLC. So we thought we could tie in really easily family and salvation and being together forever, and getting them to talk to their daughter and let her know they are meeting with us. But we didn't take into account the fact that Mirek's wife is athiest. So we simply taught about God being our loving Heavenly Father and how we can communicate with him through prayer. The spirit was there - so strong! She was trying to hide the tears running down her face. We tried to commit her to pray and she just turned to her husband and asked if he had prayed. When he said no, there was no way she was going to. So we testified and then asked them if they would pray as a family, this time she couldn't say no. We haven't had the opportunity to meet with them again but we are hoping for tomorrow! I love this work and the joy I find in teaching the gospel.
We taught Radim the word of wisdom on Wednesday. He started off by telling us that his tea company was going under and that he was thinking about going to just teaching people English, as he has had people ask him to do so. As we taught the word of wisdom he was so receptive and like "yeah I had no idea. I grew up my entire life and no one told me these things were bad for me! It will be hard and it will take time as it is changing a life style, but I will do this." So we were excited. He struggled for a little on the tea but seemed to be good. Then when we taught him Friday, he wasn't so much for it. He kept saying that tea isn't bad and going on. SO we did some more teaching and helping him to gain a testimony of prophets words being the word of God We got some good strong testifying in and we will see how he is doing tonight as he didn't come to church. :(
Speaking of church, we had an interesting experience yesterday. President came and spoke and it was really good. After our closing hymn, before the prayer and before anyone could move, we heard a little old man stand up and start speaking. I turned around just to see who it was and what do you know, it was someone I contacted on the street. He basically said, met two of the nicest sister missionaries the other day and we didn't have much time to talk. I just came from my church, I am an evangelist, and I see no difference between your church and mine. But I do want to know what is up with this Joseph Smith guy and poligamy. He kept going and President McConkie got up and said alright lets go talk! And they walked out. Then, we had the closing prayer. So let me tell you, if you are contacting and you give someone your card, they just may come to church! :) Got to love bus contacting! ha ha it was an interesting experience I must say.
After church we had a member baptism. The baptism was at the river and all 6 of us missionaries just missed the bus. So we tried to figure out how we could get there and nothing was working. The elders called a member and he offered to give us a ride but he only had seats for 3. Not wanting to break rules Sister Rosenvall and I decided to jump on the next bus and see if we could get connecting buses and get out there. Well to make a long story short, the bus skipped the stop we wanted and we ended up walking way far to try to get to the connecting bus. We then got a phone call saying the member was coming to get us (the baptism had already started by this point) We were planning to just go home and study as we weren't going to have any investigators there. But the members come and we finally got connected up. Not understanding each other and trying to meet is not the easiest thing. :) We got to the baptism in time for the closing song, I Like to Look for Rainbows, and the member that got us was the closing prayer. So yeah, we felt bad. We have amazing members though! We love them to death and they love us.
Well I think that is about all I have time for. I know that this gospel is true and that we can find joy as we live according to the scriptures which are the word of God. Make time to study, stoji za to! (it is worth it)
Love Sestra Hicken
No comments:
Post a Comment