All about me

Sister Hicken:
You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Czech/Slovak Mission. It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 18 months.
You should report to the Provo Missionary training Center on Wednesday, January 23, 2013. You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Czech language.

Monday, November 25, 2013

Knowledge

Ahoj!

So this was the week of knowledge and it was great. I spent more time in studies reflecting and dissecting why I believe what I do. It is surprising to realize that there really is no one point that I knew this commandment was true. But it for most experiences is the I have done it and I feel good and I get answers. The line upon line precept upon precept. Here a little and there a little. But I am still working to find specific experiences that I can share in lessons if needed. Over my time in the mission my testimony on answers to prayer has REALLY grown. It is so amazing how much the Lord really does hear and answer our prayers. I realized it is easier to notice here because we are only in the same situation for 9 weeks and then we get a new companion or a new companion and new area. So there is consistent change so you are able to measure and see better the answers to prayers or I am just better at looking for them. ha ha (speaking of which, this could be my last week with Sister Scerra, we will see what happens) I have learned so much from her. It has been a huge growing experience.

This past little bit I have heard from President and other leaders how the companionship of Sister Scerra and I was probably one if not the most inspired companionship for the transfer. I have heard President and Sister McConkie say many times, we felt so strongly that Sister Hicken was supposed to train her and many similar things. As Sister Scerra and I were talking. I mentioned that I felt like her being my companion was an answer to my prayers as I had been praying since march to be able to be bolder. When I said that, she commented on the fact that she received her mission call in march. For me that was just even more of a confirmation from the Lord that He does answer our prayers. We may think He isn't answering them, or that He isn't listening, but He so is! He probably answered that prayer immediately, it just took a long time for me to see it being answered because Sister Scerra was still preparing to come out into the mission field. So at this thanksgiving time, I am especially grateful for answers to prayers. I cannot number the answers that I have received from the Lord through prayer within the past few months. He is there every single step of the way, I have no doubt about that.

Besides being grateful for prayer, I am grateful for the opportunity to be here on a mission. As you may remember, a mission is not something I ever seriously considered. but through answers from prayers, I knew that it is where the Lord needed me and what I was supposed to do. Being here I see why. Serving a mission in such a huge blessing in my life. Every time I see an investigator come to church, I am over joyed. It surprises me daily, how much I love these people. I don't realize when I am not with them how much I miss them, but when we meet and I am able to teach them and learn from them, I have the purest joy. It is amazing. I am so grateful to my Heavenly Father for this opportunity to teach these people, to love them so much and to get a little feel for how much our Heavenly Father loves them. It is wonderful. Kat'ka wasn't able to meet all week so we kept in touch and then Saturday night we got a text from her saying that we'd see her at church the overwhelming joy that knowledge brought was shocking to me and then it was doubled when she walked into the sacrament room on Sunday! I just love this work. On Thursday our priest, Jaroslaw, told us that he had tests next week and he wouldn't be able to meet. I was shocked at the sadness that filled me. I mean I have only known him a month and that is only seeing him once a week! It is amazing how easily the love comes for these people, it is a blessing from my Heavenly Father that I am truly grateful for. Then the realization that I might not get to teach him and see him again (because of transfers) so i mentioned this and I could see the sadness for him as well as we described transfers to him. (I got a picture with him! :) hope you enjoy that.) So last night in our daily contact, I sent him a text and asked if we could meet for like 15-20 minutes Tuesday night and talk a little more about our experiences at church. This morning we were surprised to a response of yes let me know when and where. It is so great the amount of joy you can receive just from communication with people. Even if it isn't a let me know when we can meet. If it is just a thanks for the text or I am nervous because of this. I love the trust and friendships that I am building here. These people are amazing. So I am extremely grateful for our 8 investigators. We started the transfer off with a mere 3 and two have disappeared. But it is great to see this work progressing. It is amazing to see the branch being strengthened and pulling together even more with all the changes happening in the leadership, it is such a blessing!

I am so grateful for my family! For the way you have always supported me and lifted me in everything I do. You are always there to encourage me and I just love it! I couldn't be out here doing what I am with out the support you give me and without the knowledge and everything I received growing up. Even if I don't know how I got my testimony, I know it had a lot to do with the way you all taught, cared for and loved me. I have the best examples and I am so grateful to each of you. Your letters (and e-mails) of support as well as information about life and what is happening is such a strength to me. I learn so much from your words and I am grateful for the time you take to write me, I know it isn't easy to find in the rush of life. I also appreciate your prayers of support. AHHH!!! I think those are snow flakes drifting around outside! Exciting! :)

I am so grateful for guidance from the spirit. For district meeting I was asked to present something on how our purpose will drive our actions. I didn't have a ton of time to study with other things, so I guess I just didn't make it as much of a priority as i should have. So i thought about Mosiah and his brothers and how they shook at the thought of their brothers not being saved. I thought about how that is the same work we have, salvation of souls. So I began to ponder how we can have that same conviction and desire. Well the thought "If you fail to plan you plan to fail" came to mind. So not having any more time and not knowing how I was going to pull this together I went by faith that somehow these two thoughts that seemed so random and not connected would work. Well I got to the meeting and as I taught it just flowed together really well. I asked a few questions and then said that to have that desire and to be able to have our actions match that desire I feel it comes down to planning and shared the quote. At about this moment my district leader flips out and says WOW, the spirit really has one voice Elders and Sisters, this is exactly what I was planning to teach. Then as he took over and taught the lesson, any question he would ask the answer I gave, whether it was a scripture off the top of my head or a thought of my own, it was exactly where he was headed. At one point he stopped and said alright Sister Hicken, stop looking at my notes (he was on the opposite side of the room than I was) A little later after a couple more perfect answers he asked me if I would you like to take over? In the end, we didn't have to read any of the scriptures he had planned. ha ha It is truly amazing how the Spirit can guide us and teach us. I love this gospel!!!!

Well the gospel is true and I am grateful for it! I love this time of year and everything that I have. Strive to strengthen your testimony daily. Read and study the scriptures and conference talks, there is so much information there, you can learn so much every day! I love this opportunity to learn and grow and I love you! Have a great thanksgiving!!! (hopefully I will get to e-mail next week, if not, know that I still love you!)

 Love Sestra Hicken 


No comments:

Post a Comment