All about me

Sister Hicken:
You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Czech/Slovak Mission. It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 18 months.
You should report to the Provo Missionary training Center on Wednesday, January 23, 2013. You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Czech language.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

July 8, 2013

Ahoj rodinu (family),
 
Jak se mate? (How are you) Ok that is enough Czech. Hope all is well with you! I met my new mission president this week and it was glorious! He is so amazing, I feel like I have known him and his family forever. They are so sweet and I can tell that it is just what the mission needs right now. It is amazing how the Lord ALWAYS does that. ha ha He actually spoke a lot about focusing on the less actives and bearing simple but strong sincere testimony. Loved it, such an amazing conference. Made for a great 4 of July. They fed us hamburgers from McDonalds, must say that was the first burger I have ever had from McDonalds, actually I may have had one the last time I was in Europe, I don't know. Anyway it wasn't too bad. We also all got to have an interview with him after, it was wonderful! He was so sincere and he is so excited about the work. He has been involved with this mission since before I was born. He served here 90-92 and has been in the loop doing humanitarian stuff and all sorts of things, so neat. He has a great love for the people and the work. He was really good at giving uplifting advice to help you to improve the work, he really has a way to motivate and uplift you which I am so excited about. I can't wait for our next training on the 24th!
 
A few highlights from this week as time is limited. We went out contacting a lot this week as all of our investigators are out of town, who does that?! I guess summer is really here. Not to mention the fact that the less actives that said we can meet are also out of town and can't meet until this week. So needless to say we did lots of contacting. We need to figure out something else to do besides contacting when we can't teach anyone. We have already called all of our formers so we started calling all the potentials in the book. That one should take a long time. We also have started doing building tours, those are wonderful. People definitely try to avoid us but it works as we have one of us on each side of the street so they can't really escape. We just get the "nemam zajem" (I have no interest) and the Czech hand a lot. ha ha so great, love these people!
 
Anyway we contacted a man named Milan. He was just standing across the street and his little boy was riding his bike (without pedals-so common here to learn the balance part and then add pedals) around him. The thought to contact him crossed my mind so we b-lined it across the street to him and contacted him. It was wonderful as I felt like I was myself for once. I wasn't a robot but I could say what I wanted and relate and be a normal person. Probably because I did a contact on family which I don't usually do. It went so well as I was easily able to portray the love that I have for my family and the joy you bring me. I then testified of how much I love the gospel and how through it I can be with my family forever and that he can have that as well. He was a very joyful person and although he is atheist and not a believer he set up with us and gave us his phone number. We are so excited to meet with him! He and his family are going to be the family that jump starts the work here! He is wonderful.
 
Another contact was with a catholic man named Tomas. He had heard of the Book of Mormon through "South Park". So he had some interesting views and kind of just wanted to argue. So I said a prayer asking for guidance and help to know what to do. Almost immediately rambling Tomas said, "I have no idea where I am going with this." It was the perfect opportunity for me to jump in and bear my testimony. I spoke of the Book of Mormon and Bible working together to testify of Christ, and how I know it is true from taking Moroni's promise and how he can know it is true too. That was the gist of my testimony, it was more than that, covering things he had struggled with and when I finished he looked at me and said, "Well I can't disagree with that but...." and went on being stuck on the same concerns and having no desire to take a look at the Book of Mormon. He is too stuck in the traditions of his family. It was really neat though to see the Lord answer my prayer immediately and give me the words to say. Then to see what the prophets have said about when you testify, people can't disagree. It is so true, he freely admitted it and I know that he felt something. It was so neat to see the Lord working through me to fulfill His work in reaching out to His children.
 
This week I taught RS and it was on chapter 11 of the Lorenzo Snow manual. I absolutely loved it! It was all about how we can not fail with the Lord. So glorious!!!! You should read it. I know that the Lord loves us and that through him we cannot fail. He is always there to support and uplift us. I know this is true. Trust Him. Rely on Him.
 
I love you and would say more if I had time, but it is gone. Love you tons! Can't wait to hear from you!
 
Sestra Hicken
What's more American than McDonalds!
Look at the cute little flags in top of the hamburgers!!
 
With Sister & Elder Mendenhall from Taylorsville, UT

No comments:

Post a Comment