All about me

Sister Hicken:
You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Czech/Slovak Mission. It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 18 months.
You should report to the Provo Missionary training Center on Wednesday, January 23, 2013. You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Czech language.

Monday, May 6, 2013

What is there not to be happy about?‏

Ahoj!!! 

Life here in CBud is wonderful! We had the opportunity this week to go on exchanges with our district leader and branch president (the elders in our district). It was really good to have the opportunity to work with someone else and get some new ideas for contacting and seeing others view points and technique. As we did these exchanges we had some amazing contacts and got some numbers and appointments. Unfortunately most are really busy and the others just don't want to meet with us. But that is perfectly fine because it is their choice if they want salvation or not, I am doing my part and offering it, it is in their hands now! We had a good lesson with a man named Petr. He was funny, quite the character from his facial expressions and all. He may have also told me that I sound like a drunk. Can't decide if that is good or bad...at least I'm speaking Czech. Ha ha guess I'll need to improve some more. :) ha ha ha He was interested in our message and took the Book of Mormon and was going to read it. He had questions (which is always goods, shows they are actually thinking about what you are saying). But within an hour of meeting with him things kind of went crazy, it is amazing how fast the adversary works on people when they are doing what is right. He talked to a preacher friend and he is obviously anti and told him all sorts of crazy things. We got him to keep the Book of Mormon and thought we had things cleared up enough that it was going to work out, but he dodges our calls and didn't come to our appointment with him. We still have hope for him, whether he will listen now or later with other missionaries, who knows. 

We got an awesome referral this week. We got the referral from Prague and called the number immediately and Lenka said, I wish you would have called sooner, I was hoping to have the address for the church so I could come on Sunday. Well we didn't get her info until Monday, not our fault. We met with her this week and taught her the restoration, she was really receptive and has such pure desires. We asked about what role Christ plays in her life and she said that she sees him as her older brother and went on and it was wonderful. She tells us she just wants to be a good example. She has a 7 month old daughter. I asked if she had other kids and she said she did. We then found out her oldest child is 21. Talk about an age gap, I think there are 2 or 3 in between somewhere as well. But wow, I was shocked I thought she was in her late 20's early 30's! ha ha We talked about prayer with her. She says that she prays in her head and she feels that she gets answers. She knows that God answers and sometimes it is in a way that we don't want. But she knows that it is important to follow what the Lord says. At the end of the lesson I invited her to say the closing prayer. Her prayer was beautiful, the spirit was strong and it seemed very spirit led to me. It was a reminder to me of how my prayers should be. After the prayer she was timid and said she hadn't ever prayed aloud before. I don't know why she hasn't, she has wonderful prayers. Also during the lesson I invited her to be baptized. She was surprised, but accepted it and my companion gave her the date of the 7th of June. So we will be working towards that, happy day! As I talked to my companion afterwards she said that I did a wonderful intro to the baptismal ask and there was no way to say no unless she wanted to be rejecting Christ and His example. I am not exactly sure what I said, but I guess it was the right thing, must have been spirit led. ha ha We are so excited to meet with her tomorrow! She is an amazing lady! 

Our awesome investigator Constantin has been a great example to me. He always comes in and asks, "Do you have any questions?" so we usually ask him about one of the commitments we have given him. Then he will update us on it. This week he has been coming in and saying, "I have a question." Then he proceeds to ask us if we are reading in the Book of Mormon every day and praying daily, out loud. It is a great reminder to me to make sure that I am doing everything that I am committing others to be doing. Because he comes to every activity we have at the church (English, Czech, sports day, FHE, church) and we meet with him twice a week, we have many opportunities to keep in contact face to face. It is wonderful, we keep each other in line. 

At sports day this week we went to the park and there were soccer goals without nets and the elders did a few things like hanging upside down or swinging from the poles. Constantin, our 54 year old, jumped up and started doing pull ups and hanging upside down and all sorts of stuff! It was crazy! We were slightly afraid, but it all worked out. Then he insisted on being the goalie and was actually really good. We eventually played ultimate frisbee and that was just entertaining because our members and investigators weren't understanding. Constantin caught it, threw it and went further, but when he caught it the next time he just went running with it to the goal, it was hilarious! 

We had branch conference this week. Pretty sure the members from Prague, "Stake leaders" more than doubled our attendance. :) There were wonderful messages shared and we got to spend some time with our mission president. We went to dinner with him on Saturday and it was fun to just spend time with him and his sweet wife, they are so wonderful. 

This week has been glorious. I hope that your week has been just as good. The Lord is in the little things in our lives, if we work diligently to serve him, we will be happy. The Lord only asks us to do things that are for our best and to make us happy. I love the gospel, I love the Lord, I am grateful to be serving and I am grateful for you and your support. I love you my dear family! Know that I have a testimony. That Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer and that it is through Christ that we find happiness now and after this life. 

Love Sestra Hicken

No comments:

Post a Comment