All about me

Sister Hicken:
You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Czech/Slovak Mission. It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 18 months.
You should report to the Provo Missionary training Center on Wednesday, January 23, 2013. You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Czech language.

Saturday, June 7, 2014

What a Week

Wow, it has been a full week where to start.

Ludek, one of our less actives got up on sunday and bore his testimony, it was so great! He talked all about the power of prayer it was so neat! Later in the week we were pleased to have Sister Reeves, Sister Wixcom and Elder Kearon come and speak to us. My first encounter with them was as I walked out of the bathroom and they were standing there. Sister Reeves came up and hugged me and then Elder Kearon was right behind her and shook my hand and we talked for a moment. IT was really neat. He is such a sincere man! It was such a privelage to be around these people! There was a session for the leaders and a session for everyone. We got asked to play the piano and conduct for the primary one so we were able to get to be with Sister Wixcom a lot. She chatted with us and hugged us so many times I can't even count it. She is so sweet. After the meetings we were able to chat more too. I loved her talk. She spoke all about the plan of salvation. Sister Reeves spoke about the restoration and Elder Kearon spoke about applying what we learn. That we cant just leave and say that was a good meeting but we have to recognize the promptings of the spirit and apply what we were told. It was really great. He also talked about how all of us that have been baptised has something that sparks us and we just need to remember that less active and active to keep us going and remembering what we love and why. It was just really good. We need to build off of what we know.

After the conference (it was for everyone in the Prague district - the best part of serving only in the one district is i get to see everyone I have worked with!) Stanislav came up to me with Elder Kearon (President McConkie too as he was his translator) and asked me to take a picture of them together. As this was happening Elder Kearon starts to talk about the amazing story Stanislav has and he turns to me and asks, have you heard his story?! Before I could come up with a response President McConkie said, she taught him. It was just such a neat experience to be with those four men having a conversation and hearing Stanislav over and over again thanking Elder Kearon so much for his talk and stating how it brought back the feelings he had before he was baptised and how wonderful he feels.

Went on an exchange this week with Sister Smith, I got so see cbud in over a year, that was interesting! So fun! I love the czech republic! I love this place SO much! ahh!! IT was a good exchange. Today we did the barefoot run, it was great! Got to love blistered feet.:D It was fun to run but I must say, I need to train before I run a race! Luckily it was just for fun and to help a good cause. It was so great! Getting to run with some of the czech members and just chat and have fun! I love that I can just spend time with these amazing people!

We had a concert last weekend and we sent out a mass text out to basically everyone in the phone, even some members. Let me tell you God's hand is in the work. Everyone that responeded somewhat positively we called/are calling to see if they have interest to meet. There was a lady named Lilie in the phone and she was suppoesedly a member but we had no clue who she was so we decided it was a great opportunity to meet her and strengthen all of our testimonies. So we set up with her. Come to find out she was baptized two years ago and moved to a different part of prague and somehow got lost. We are now trying to figure out if anyone knows her. She is so sweet and was so glad we set up with her. She said it is too bad you haven't contacted me before now. She is so sweet and I am excited to get to know her better and learn from her! She is amazing! I love this work!

We had a singing display this week and I was out contacting and my fellow missionaries pointed out a man that I needed to talk to. I went up to him to chat and he told me to wait a second so he could finish his text. So I waited :D And he was serious and actually wanted to talk! He told me that he was born in the covenant but left the church long ago, back in his teenage years. He then said he was just trying to figure out what song they were singing (we sing in czech and we were speaking in english because he is from scotland). I found it really interesting that the song was I feel my Saviors Love. As we talked more I asked questions to better understand why he doesn't believe or what his problem was with the church, why he isn't active anymore. He was really nervous to offend me or make me question my faith. I told him not to be as I know what I belive and have a strong testimony. I know that if he were to say something that would just blindside me, I could take it to my knees and talk to God about it and get it all resolved.So as we talked it was really interesting to see how it started simple and one small thing lead to another small thing and how all these little turns has pulled him so far from the church and God. It was really sad to see how he got into anti information and how he now justifies and rationalizes out of what he once belived. He said that he knew Jesus was a good person be he doesn't believe in the atonement. He isn't even sure about God and he doesn't belive that He is loving if He or Satan exists. As we talked, he talked mostly about doubts about Joseph Smith. As our conversation was coming to a close, the missionaries started singing Joseph Smiths first prayer. He noticed it and said something about how ironic. I asked him how he felt as he heard these songs. He talked about the joy and happiness, then quickly said that it brought back memories of his childhood but it didn't really mean anything now. I just took that opportunity to testify to him about what he was feeling and asked him the last time he prayed. It had been many years like 15. I asked him if he would pray tonight when he got home. He flat out said no. So we began talking more and I testified of prayer. He brought up arguments and it was neat to see how God brings things to mind to tell you what to say and testify about. He got stumped and I asked him again to pray tonight to see if God exists. He said he would. Now i have no clue if he did or what happened with that as he wouldn't give me his number but he took ours and knows how to get in contact with us. It was just such a neat experience for me to get to talk to this man and hopefully give him some thoughts to ponder on and make him turn to God to know for himself. It is so amazing how our church is all about finding answers for ourselves. It is having a personal experience and knowing for yourself, that is how Joseph Smith did it and that is how I have done it and I know that is how you too can do it. Take your questions to God, get on your knees and get to know Him better!

It has been an amazing week and it will only get better! Have a great week and make this next week the best you have ever had!

Love you tons!
S laskou, Sestra Hicken

Sister Wixcom

Sewers have the coolest designs, every city has its own!

Us in Melnik
where the two great rivers meet in the cz labe and valtava - so beautiful

castle by the rivers

dinner with Evie
english class- english conversation, such funny guys

sister vokalova - love this lady, such a sweetheart

awesome crest, we went to melnik!did i mention we had water damage?! our landlord called a few weeks ago saying that the two apartments below us had water coming from thier roofs. He said he'd check it out since we were gone. well we came home to a mountain turrain!




No comments:

Post a Comment