Hello!
Well looks like the sun has finally found us here in Provo Utah. We have been living in a pretty gray world down here so this week has been glorious. We finally got to go to our real classroom. Evidently it had flooded and they sucked over 20 gallons out of it so we have been in a different room. We hope that we have things figured out. We found our schedule is different than the schedule our teachers got so that has been interesting trying to teach ourselves everything, but I think things are finally under control and less stressful One thing I learned from the Slovak teacher is that our teachers in class aren't our real teacher, the Holy Ghost is, and he is always with us so we don't need to freak out about not learning from a teacher. It was good insight.
I have really appreciated all the prayers and letters it is a great support that I couldn't live without, so THANK YOU!
I guess there was an Elder Hicken a few years ago that served in the Czech mission because everyone keeps asking me if I am related. I tell them probably, but I have no clue who he is. Also the Brigham couple that is going to Czech on a humanitarian mission stopped by our class and we chatted for a while. It was fun, didn't know them, but they knew my parents and said a few things about scouts so that was fun to have a connection home.
I guess there was an Elder Hicken a few years ago that served in the Czech mission because everyone keeps asking me if I am related. I tell them probably, but I have no clue who he is. Also the Brigham couple that is going to Czech on a humanitarian mission stopped by our class and we chatted for a while. It was fun, didn't know them, but they knew my parents and said a few things about scouts so that was fun to have a connection home.
This week has been amazing with our investigator. I am not sure if I have told you much about her. Her name is Petra, she is really our teacher acting as someone she knows, but it is still a really amazing experience! We were teaching her about the atonement and asked her what she thought. She then told us that she grew up Catholic and knew the facts about the atonement and everything she just wanted to know how. How is the atonement possible? How, how, how?! I was like ahhh!!! (Oh did I mention these lessons are all in Czech, no English) So my mind was racing thinking, "Well that is hard in English let alone in Czech!" So we basically told her we would answer her question at our next appointment. We finished our lesson, assigned her to read Mosiah 24, and left. We studied for hours and worked on the lesson for her and thought we knew what she needed to hear to strengthen her relationship with God. We came to the conclusion that she needed faith and would just have to pray to know the answer. She previously had refused to pray with us. When we got there we began to teach and asked her how she felt about Mosiah 24:15 which talks about the Savior lightening our burdens. Well she threw us for a loop. She said she didn't know if she wanted that. I was like, "Oh no! What now?" So I asked why and she said because of her pride. She then went on to say she wanted it for her sick sister. My companion, Sister Cooper was lead by the Spirit and taught and testified, I was a little lost, but the Spirit was so strong. We bore testimony and left. Our next lesson Sister Cooper and I kind of changed rolls. We taught about the plan of salvation and Petra asked a question that had both of us wondering what in the world she was saying. Luckily she drew some stuff out so we could understand better and then BAM, the Spirit led me to scriptures and words to use to testify to her and teach her. It was so amazing. Her questions were on the after life and what happened to bad people. I pointed out D&C 76:89 and 103 which talks about even the lowest degree of glory, for murders, adulterers and liars, that they would be in a place that is even greater than we could imagine. It is so amazing to see the Spirit working through me to answer peoples questions and be able to testify of the goodness of God. Even if I have no clue how to speak Czech it is fine, because lucky for me the Spirit is fluent in Czech! :)
We have found the importance of taking our English scriptures and things with us so that we can better know what she is reading and asking us. So we take double of everything, but it works out. We are done teaching her and this week we get to start teaching 2 new investigators. Unfortunately this time we don't have any prior knowledge about them, it is a door approach! Ahh!!! I don't know how to get to know people in Czech! This is such an awesome experience and I am so grateful for it. My testimony has grown so much! My love for the Savior and what He has done for me grows in leaps and bounds. Missions are wonderful and I am grateful for this chance.
Love you and hope to hear from you soon!
Love,
No comments:
Post a Comment