Ahoj!
So evidently there are lots of Hicken's because I have been asked multiple times if I know so and so Hicken. Evidently the temple Presidency 6 years ago, with President Baccon, had a Hicken as a member of the presidency. Then there was an elder that left today for New Mexico. His name is Johnny Hicken and is from Bingham or something like that.
At the temple today there was the cutest old couple, you could tell by the way that they looked at each other that they were so in love with each other and cared so much for one another. I hope to be that in love when I am in my 80's! Mom just so you know she came over to me and told me that she was going to give me a hug from my mom. She was so cute and sweet, I love old people and the joy and peace found in the temple.
So I know last time I said that we were done teaching Petra and were getting two new investigators and would have a door approach knowing nothing. Well we planned for that and then ten minutes before we were to teach we were told we'd still be teaching Petra, so our plans had to change fast and we had to rely so much on the Lord to get us through that lesson, it was wonderful to have that experience and to realize how much the Lord can and will guide you as long as you try and put in the effort. The other investigator we knew would be new since we hadn't taught anyone. We were expecting to do a door approach knowing nothing and we came into class right before we were to teach and the teacher had a description of the investigator so once again our plans had to quickly change. We now teach Honza, an 18 year old who has a member friend and wants to know about Christ, his parents are divorced and he lives with his mother. It is so great to teach, but kind of stressful to get the lessons together in time, but it doesn't matter how prepared or unprepared we are, the Lord is always there to guide us and help us along. Most times our lessons change from what we planned, we use the scriptures, but in a different way than we planned because of the questions that the investigators ask, it is an awesome experience.
While teaching this week we were encouraged not to take so many notes in with us so we made and outline and some Czech sentences and went in to teach Petra. She had asked a question and with my limited Czech skills I attempted to help her understand. It is way hard to translate everything. You are thinking of the English then say that word in Czech and go back to try to figure out what English word you are on and then translate it and sometimes sentences come out interestingly. As a result I ended up saying Bůh pomoc nam hrich. Which translates to God helps us sin. Rather than overcome sin! I caught myself and started shaking my head and putting up my hands and said no um.... then I remembered that no in Czech is short for ano which means yes so I was just laughing and I got Petra to laugh and we attempted to straighten it out, it was really funny though.
We also got to start TRC this week. This is where we get to go and teach members the gospel in our mission language. So we were teaching a couple of boys and we were trying to get to know them and I attempted to ask if they were friends from school but I accidentally said "kamaradka" instead of "kamarad". The ka makes it feminine so I asked if they were girl friends and didn't get any further. We all just laughed it was great. So as you see the language is coming along really well! It is fabulous! :)
In class the other day we were all way tired and having a hard time taking in more Czech learning so our teach said we are going on a walk. It just so happened to be snowing outside, luckily the walk ways are covered so we weren't getting snowed on. But we walked around and had to say to the left, to the right, down, up, forward. So we were learning directions in Czech, I don't remember them very well, but it successfully woke us up and we were able to finish class!
Our elders are so funny, they keep classes fun and entertaining. We never have a dull moment it seems. They try to translate all sorts of different slang words and the teachers are really good to help them figure it out. So funny. They figured out how to say, "Like a boss.", so now they add that after everything. That is what "jako sef" means. Ucim is "I teach". So there you go now you know what my title is. They have also come up with games to play to make learning more fun or to do as they 'study'. They have Pictionary with Czech words. It was fun to watch them try to draw charity and different things. They also decided to play head ball. This is where they throw the ball and either say "head it" or "catch it". What ever they say you do the opposite of. It has nothing to do with learning, it is purely for our entertainment and enjoyment. They are hilarious I wish I could explain it so you could understand. Well time is out for e-mailing. I will try and write back to everyone who has written me letters. I love them, they are such a support and strength! Thank you so much for taking the time to write me and also for your prayers. I couldn't do this with out your love and support.
Have a spectacular week!
Love Sestra Hicken!
No comments:
Post a Comment